Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Anti-Racist Communities

Back in June/July I wrote to the school board and then, in response, had a conversation with our school district's curriculum director regarding anti-racism curriculum and hiring practices. At that time, I put a note for myself in my calendar to contact my son's principal in October to follow up. It is of note that this was before we had actually begun at the school, and that way back in June/July, I had some assumption that we wouldn't have as many concerns about COVID as we did. I'm not sure why, but I was thinking we'd be in a pattern and October would be a time when all of the extra start up energy began to not be needed. But, of course, that is when the push began to get kids back into schools and I know that our administrator's energy was already being stretched.

So, I kept putting it off, and kept putting it off. Today, a bit on a whim, but also because I'd learned about new IL legislation that requires training in culturally responsive teaching, I finally wrote. I feel a little timid because I don't actually know what is being done around anti-racism in our area and I am not an expert. But, I do want to make sure that 1) this community is safe for my kids - and all other children regardless of their color and 2) I want my kids to have a non-white-centered education...meaning a much broader, more robust education that I did not get. 

I'd love if there was a group that I could join that was doing this kind of work already - whether in my school district or in others. I wish I knew how to best help our community and leaders grow to being anti-racist. I know it's personal work, but I feel like I'm fumbling at trying to raise it as an issue to work on in our community. All of a sudden I'm not a leader at anything, but this is something that I feel so strongly about and I believe needs to be a constant focus.

No comments: