Monday, January 04, 2021

Chicken Pox Antibodies

During my pregnancy with my first kid, blood tests (the titer test) showed that I did not have the antibodies for the chicken pox virus. It was not a vaccine one should get when pregnant, and I wanted to wait to get it until my first had gotten his vaccine, so shortly after he turned 1 I got my first of 2 vaccines to inoculate me from chicken pox.

The thing is, I had chicken pox as a kid - twice. Neither time was very strong. And I don't really remember having it, although I do remember each of my siblings having it. 

I think about this as I think about antibodies and vaccines and how there will always be some exceptions to the rules. Why do some people carry the coronavirus but not show symptoms? Why have there been a few (rare) cases of people getting COVID-19 twice within a short time people? There are likely some answers out there, but there is so much unknown. 

When I learned I didn't have the antibodies for chicken pox I asked my doctor and the person who gave me the vaccine how it could be that I needed to get it. Neither seemed to have a clear answer, but they also didn't seem surprised. Chicken pox has been a known entity for a long time and there is still mystery to it.

I should mention that none of my writing or speculation is backed up my any science. It's simply me pondering and trying to make sense. 

No comments: