Thursday, January 07, 2021

Consequential

My brain is mush. My motivation is pretty low too. I'd like to go hide in a cabin somewhere for a few days - just by myself...but with wifi to watch all the Netflix I want. And, I'll eat all the foods that I crave. Of course, then I'll get a stomach ache and feel uncomfortable because I'm no longer 25 and everything I put into my body seems to have a repercussion.

Tonight we could overhear the boys talking in the play room while we sat talking at the kitchen table. David asked Gabriel, "What is a punishment?" And Gabriel said "It's when you do something bad and then you get something taken away. It's a, it's a...consequence." 

I've been using the word consequence a lot with both kids. And I could tell Gabriel was working hard to remember it - but he did. I've tried to parent with natural consequences - meaning that whatever punishment happens is directly related to what was done wrong. It doesn't always work, but it's pretty easy when it's something like mistreating property. Less obvious when it's simply not listening to parental directions (although, sometimes there too it's obvious...you didn't get your shoes on by yourself when I asked you to, now I will do it for you. You didn't come when I asked, you missed out on the surprise or treat.)

Today's news is full of consequences. Consequences of this current administration's false claims of fraud and stoking of conspiracy, consequences of social media posts that show people committing sedition (and jobs lost), and consequences of the white supremacy upon which our country is built. What we do matters. What we say matters. Who we allow to make decisions matters. 

In many cases, it feels like so many haven't had to bear the consequences of their actions. I saw it noted that lawmakers now know what it's like to cower under desks, as so many school children have done when gunmen have terrorized schools. I'm sure that many in power, including our current president, rarely have to bear the consequences of their decisions and actions - but others do.

I won't be eating all the junk food I want. My kids are still going to have a toy taken away if they throw it at someone. And I'll be watching to see what consequences bear out from all the terror inflicted yesterday.


No comments: