Monday, June 01, 2020

What to Write

My monthly "resolution" for May was to walk 30 minutes 5 times a week. That didn't happen. I started out well, and after a strong 10 days I didn't fight for that time anymore. My kids take a lot of coaxing to make it out the door sometimes.

June's resolution is to write something every day. I haven't put perimeters on it, but I guess I'm thinking that it's going to be writing for myself. Maybe here. Maybe a journal I have. 

There is a lot to write about. The country is currently embroiled in protests regarding the murders of black people by police. The murder of George Floyd, 6 blocks from my sister's home in Minneapolis, was only the spark to the gas that has been building forever. There are protests around the world. And in many cases, as the protests during the day wind up, looters and rioters - taking advantage of the situation - roll into town. Destroying businesses not as a reaction to injustice, but in order to fan the flames of division and hate. In order to create chaos and instill fear. In Minneapolis it's appearing as if those doing this are coming from out of town, changing license plates and are white. In Chicago it's been reported that looters audaciously came with U-Haul trailers.

It's also seeming that there are two opposing reactions from police - sometimes at the same protest. Sometimes police are attacking protests without provocation - or at least that is what it seems like by those who are there. Peaceful protesters with hands up end up with mace in the face - or crowds of people all of a sudden have to leap out of the way (even those with older people and young children) of police vehicles barreling through. 

But then there are many places where police are joining the protests. Calling for reform. Standing with those who are marching. Kneeling as those around them kneel. I hope for more of that. 

I'll have more. We're in a strange spot where it seems like so many people are not engaging with all that's going on in the world. Except, how would we know? We're continuing to self-isolate even as others become more social. I'm worried about what two weeks from now will bring with new cases. 

I've now got a last worship service on the calendar. It will be over Zoom, which is so strange, but I'm grateful that the council isn't interested in trying anything in person.

I'm starting this new "camp" with the boys - a different topic each week. Today is the first day and this week's topic is the moon.

And, there is definitely more to talk about with racism and white privilege.

No comments: