Saturday, June 27, 2020

Stepping Away

My very rough draft of my last sermon is done.
As with most sermon writing, I'm feeling relieved that I'm at this place, but also just feel like it's not enough. That is the usual. At least until after I preach and then I either feel one of three feelings 1) Meh, it's over. 2) Well, that sucked. or 3) Where did that come from! That was better than just me!

Lately, it's been #1. And, it's one of the signs that it's right that I'm wrapping this up. 

As I confessed to a group of other Lutheran Leader Women, I am feeling a bit of guilt in leaving the church in this particular moment. It had been determined well before the pandemic that this would be the very end of my time at this church. There are various pieces that pull to make this the right time - it's not just one. But, it's also a pretty crappy time for anyone who is needing to make decisions for how to move forward. 

Frankly (because this is my blog), it's also probably a pretty good time for me to step away because I would not be advocating for in person worship anytime soon and it seems like there is a strong desire from some to do so. I do not intend to step inside of any location where I am would need to sit in the company of other people until there is a vaccine. Perhaps I will change my mind about that, but if I were part of the group needing to determine when to meet next for worship, I would be advocating not at all. And, I don't think that's in step with where this community is.

So, while I'm not going to be naming that to the community, it is one more piece that makes me feel like this is the right time for me to step away.

No comments: