Saturday, June 06, 2020

First Steps

And, I missed a day. *Sigh*

I was writing - but not for myself. Or maybe, yes for myself, but not in order to reflect.

Yesterday I had a multiple e-mail conversation with the mayor of our town. I wanted to know more about how the police department is governed and the policies they follow. I wanted to know more about the work of anti-racism among our leadership.

I learned that our police department appears to have those policies and be required to be in regular training that many have called for as specific requirements that would contrast police brutality. I'm now understanding that many in the movement are more interested in defunding police, that these policies don't go far enough. And, frankly, I haven't taken the time to look more into what that means.

The mayor said that "this topic" (I think policy requirements of our police department) will be part of the conversation at the next board meeting.

I also learned that there have been some steps to pay attention to ways that our community has not been hospitable to BIPOC, namely in terms of housing. I pushed more with the mayor, and he responded - perhaps not as far as I would have liked him to have, but it felt like a good first step in my communication with him.

I believe they are holding their board of trustees meetings so that people can observe them from home during this time of COVID. The next one is next Tuesday. I hope to be able to listen in.

No comments: