Thursday, November 01, 2007

Highlights of my work week

* I tied for first at the Senior Center's marshmallow blowing contest on Tuesday. My prize - a Santa figurine. (Doesn't that seem off? It should have been something Halloween-y). I'm still accepting it - no matter that I was decades younger than the other participants and I only tied.

* My Confirmation class loved that I found a song on YouTube to play for them and discuss. And, they started singing Bible songs spontaneously a few different times (like our ever-so-dignified Wed. text study does). And, they are excited about the Lenten series to be described below. And, one of the students got really excited about going on a mission trip - even going home right away to research and e-mail the info to me. **Favorite quote of the night - "So, what you're saying is the world needs hippies."

* Some members of my text study took off for Sun-Mon to brainstorm a Lenten series based on "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and strength and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself" and The Wizard of Oz. It was good to brainstorm - and I'm looking forward to this work (as I focus on the cowardly lion and strength).

* Today my secretary and I are having lunch together. It's a working lunch where we'll touch base about how things are going and what we can do better in our working relationship. But, we also have fun together.

* Last night a new congregation cooked for the Soup Kitchen. They made a FANTASTIC meal, were excited about their experience, and one of the volunteers said to a member of mine: "This is where I belong." Lots of laughter - also meant a lot of time freed up for me to visit with others that were there who needed it.

* A good worship service last night - one actually full of comedy for some reason. Good discussion, a full house (9) for a Wed. night. A cell phone rang in the middle of our "silence." People held it together during the silence and then when the silence ended everyone erupted in laughter. It felt like a great community - half of whom were sleeping outside last night.

* Because I will be gone for a little over a week, I'm needing to prepare to get a lot of information to other people. I've gotten worship planned now through mid-December and have already gotten some Christmas stuff figured out. I've got people to open up the church on Sunday and to lead Wednesday evening functions. I've got to put together instructions for leading the Confirmation Class next Monday and to get my sermon ready for this Sunday...but I feel like things are pretty well under control. Yay!

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

I reads like things are pretty well under control! Awesome! Wanna come here and organize my life? :)