Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Different Kind of Good News

My job, at its heart, is about good news.

Good News that conquers sin & death. Good News of goodness within each person, createdness as God's children. Good news that someone cares. Good news that life is about more than one's own little opinions and needs - that we're connected to one another. Good News of love.

This weekend my job is about other good news as well.

Half of our building has heat! (Which is good news when two weeks ago we weren't sure where we'd be). Our programs will be able to continuously be held without worry that the homeless folk won't have a place to warm up or that the little old ladies will be shivering. Sure, worship will continue to be held in the fellowship hall rather than the sanctuary, but we'll be warm with more than just the Spirit.

and
We are receiving some money from one of the grants I submitted earlier this fall!! We have yet to hear from another. But, this is good (and stress reducing) news!

and
I'm going away for a week. Good news because although I love my people, and my work...my sermons have been suffering and my brain and my pre-preaching nerves need a bit of a break. And, while most of the times I go away are preceded by extra preaching (for a funeral or a wedding), this time...I can safely say now that it's the day before I leave...that will not be the case.

Good news for me. Not the holy kind. But...maybe a little bit of the wholly kind - physical comfort, economic help, mental health break. That seems like good news to me.

1 comment:

Backwoods Rev said...

Good news because you have Holy days- Holidays- in front of you!
Can't wait to see you!