Friday, November 30, 2007

Shutterbug

When I first started working I made a list of things I wanted to purchase that I had put off during my volunteer and school years. Big ticket items = a bed, a car, an I-pod, a CD player for the car (to which I can attach my I-pod), a DVD/DVR player, and hmmm...I feel like there was something else....anyway - all of these have been deliberating researched and purchased in the last few years.
I have been without a functioning camera for about 3 1/2 years now. Maybe more. I love taking pictures, and am actually pretty good at it (thank you 4-H). Important to me features include the ability to zoom in and out, different lighting options, a timer (to be able to set the camera to take an inclusive group shot), durability (I am a little clumsy), and probably a fairly good sized memory...since I'm looking at digital.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Also - I'm trying to decide - do I attempt to purchase the camera now - during holiday sales? Or wait until after Christmas...with post-holiday sales, but perhaps not the greatest selection?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have one, but I want one - Nikkon D80 with a good piece of Nikkon glass. But it whenever you have a spare $1000 sitting around!
Peace.
Andrew

~moe~ said...

I have a Nikon D40, inexpensive for SLR cameras, has a memory card which if you have the pictures on small instead of large setting you can get a ton (though on my 1GB card I had over 600 pictures on large setting on one card).

I have loved this camera. Durability is a little less but it does have a neckstrap, and it's a little bulky at times, but the shots...OMG the shots are fabulous! I do recommend getting a back up battery for this. It's come in handy.

But if you want a smaller, handbag size camera, which does still work if you drop it (but don't get a lot of sand on the lens b/c my lens doors (for lack of a better term) don't open up automatically anymore) - I also have a Canon PowerShot A530. The bonus is that this and the Nikon use the same memory cards and are interchangeable all the time. I love this part. One bad thing is I often get red-eye with this and sometimes it takes a little longer for shots, but not always.

Here's another link that might help: http://www.bargainist.com/deals/2007/10/how-to-choose-a-good-budget-digital-camera/

Good luck!