Saturday, March 10, 2007

Cheers to me.

Last night 18 fabulous friends joined me in celebrating my 30th birthday. As someone who is habitually single, I've often hosted "gatherings" or "get-togethers" in my own honor.

I love celebrations - it's one reason I love worship (good worship that is...). And, I like to mark occasions. I notice when my odometer turns, I recognize anniversaries of various events (although, I must admit...I'm good at doing this with my own things, not others - how horribly self-involved that makes me seem).

It does feel a little odd to invite people to come and celebrate me and I hope that I am able to maneuver the line of being celebratory of me, and helping others have a good time. And it helps when I have such cool friends who enjoy getting to meet each other and can entertain themselves.

It also helps when the location is a brewery.

In my head I have this running commentary that has helped me realize that it's okay to invite people to come and celebrate me. Part of it is something my mom helped me learn - that I have high expectations for some things - that I can't always expect others to fulfill. If I don't want to be crying in my milk (or beer) about no party or no specified time to mark the occasion of entering another decade, then I should just go ahead and do something that I'll enjoy.

So, raise your glass to this blogger entering another year/another decade even.

3 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

Happy Birthday! Indeed, cheers to you!

Backwoods Rev said...

Happy wonderful birthday dearest! May we celebrate this new decade with grace and joy!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday, Amused!!!
Hooray for 30 years of YOU!