Monday, October 01, 2007

From Their Mouths to God's Ears

I got the giggles yesterday during worship. I was sitting closer to the congregation because we had a guest preacher who was going to preach from the aisle instead of the pulpit (and if I was in my usual spot I would have had to turn around the entire time to see him).

I wrote here about the chance-taking of chanting the psalm, well, today the attempts at praising the Lord with chanting were a bit reversed. It has been traditional for our congregation to speak the psalm, responsively...and so many of those who avoid singing the hymns are chanting the psalm. Yesterday the leader did a wonderful job (it's something he just started working on last spring and it's so fun to see him get better and bolder). But the congregation responding was completely off key and out of tempo. Because I was sitting closer, I got an even louder experience of it.

It was just so charming. Voices raised earnestly with joy, and some trepidation. And, I bet to God it was beautiful.

No comments: