Monday, September 03, 2007

Taking a Chance

I'm not the best singer.

I think I can hear tune and tone and all the important musical things, but I can't always make my voice do that.

So, I've regularly chanted the liturgy, and in the last 6 months we've started to have those Lectors who were interested in chanting chant the Psalm. It's been a set few and I've come to expect that some but not others would.

I've also been working on a worshipful environment that allows us to take chances. That we don't have to be perfect in what we do in order to worship and praise God. Sometimes even saying that we're going to try something that is a little out of our comfort zone - and asking people to remember that what we're doing is about God - not about how we perform. (Although I do also talk about not giving crap to God - but trying our best).

Yesterday I got tears in my eyes as one of my older adults - a woman who I've come to expect to be a bit stuck in her ways - decided to chant the Psalm. Her voice cracked a little - she had to start over for one of the stanzas - but it was beautiful.

1 comment:

LoieJ said...

I'm glad to hear that you, your church, and your volunteers are open to "regular" people doing things and not having to be "perfect." We are saved by grace, not our perfection or accomplishments.

I wonder how the churches that are on TV or that seem like extravagant performances can convey that we are ALL welcome to worship, that we are all welcome in the Kingdom. How could we possibly be good enough for heaven if we are not good enough to do things in our churches.