Sunday, October 07, 2007

Unexpected Visitors

I've had a number of surprise visitors in worship recently. Last Sunday members of the congregation in which I grew up popped in. (Unfortunately it was one of the rare Sundays in which I wasn't preaching...but that just means they'll have to come again.)

This Sunday a dear friend...who told me that he warned me earlier in the week, but I don't recall it.

Next Sunday...well, I suppose that's not unexpected, but a visitor nonetheless - my mom.

But, today there was one potential unexpected visitor that did not show up - and I'm a bit relieved.

Today we held a pet blessing in the afternoon. This is an annual tradition held near the commemoration of St. Francis of Assisi (Oct 4th). We read some scripture, say some prayers, I bless each animal (I think we had about 12 dogs and one picture of a cat present this afternoon). Some congregations are brave enough to hold this pet blessing during the regular Sunday morning worship - with the pets sitting through the service. I am not that brave - and I'm not sure some of the animals would have made it either.

Just prior to the regular morning service the organist told me that his good friend was thinking about bringing her dog to the service....the regular morning service. She wasn't able to make the afternoon blessing and wanted her pup to be blessed. He (the organist) mentioned that I would know if the dog arrived.

Well, neither the dog nor its owner showed up. But, I did bless the dog that may be the ring bearer for the couple I am marrying in another year.

2 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

I had a doggy ring bearer in a wedding last summer -- she was remarkably well behaved, but it was a moment of much hemming and hawing when the couple brought up the idea!

Backwoods Rev said...

We blessed our pets in September... during the service, but we held it outside. Young families I hadn't seen in months came and enjoyed the beautiful fall morning service with their 45 animals adding to the attendance roster.

Some older members left in a huff before the service or talked about we shouldn't have had it during the morning time. The more conservative church in town "doesn't approve"

I consider that a sounding success! Plus one local paper gave us a great article!