Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Visit From Mom

My easy going mom has been visiting. Her visits are always good for me. We eat well but not too much, I usually end up learning something, and we walk (outside or in a museum or at some other entertainment venue).

It's nice to have someone - the person from whom I probably learned the most about attending church - to recognize the same idiosyncrasies of my congregation as I do. Like the incredibly long sharing of the peace, or the fact that a couple people carry their hymnals with them to coffee hour (because after that they are heading home...and since they sponsored the hymnals they believe they should be able to bring them home and bring them to worship each Sunday).

It's also nice to not talk about church and to hear about experiences that she is having and has had. To change certain assumptions I've had. To get her take on current events and life in general. To get hugs from my mama.

It wasn't technically vacation, but it felt a bit like it.

No comments: