Friday, October 21, 2005

Time for a change of pace

The Top Ten Indicators that I'm in need of a break
  1. I easily become defensive
  2. I cry when someone says something nice to me
  3. Television or book characters become my friends
  4. I get paranoid (as one friend aptly noticed) about my friendships - that I may offend
  5. Even with a lot of friends, it's hard to reach out and call
  6. I take too much responsibility for other people's mistakes
  7. Small annoyances produce out-of-proportion responses (ie. my darn landlady's dogs are howling and I feel like swearing at them and stomping on the floor - not like that would work)
  8. It's hard to think into the future - even 12 hours
  9. Cooking becomes less important, but eating more
  10. Feeling guilty for non-productivity on days off

I'd say that I'm currently at a 4 out of 10 scale here (#s 2, 4, 5 and 7). I certainly don't feel guilty for this day off - I'm looking forward to making dinner but I'm not really hungry, and since I'm reveling in my laziness today I'm not really having to deal with #s 1 and 6. Now, if only those darn dogs would shut up! I'd be a much healthier person (maybe I need to add an 11, blaming others for my annoyance...naw, anyone would be aggravated by persistent howling.)

I do get some kind of break. I have today off of course - and tomorrow should not be too stressful. And then we have continuing education Monday and Tuesday where I get to go be with others who do this same kind of work (with an extra bonus dinner for those of us in our first 3 years). I know that is work and that I will be tired after those days, but I think it will be good for my soul to have some of that collegiality. A time to commiserate, a time to laugh, a time not to be in charge (yay!).

I'm not looking to this continuing ed as a break so much as a change of pace. It will be nice to not have the same level of responsibility.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abba said...

Hang in there, Amused. It's good you can recognize the signs of needing a break and attend to them.

And thanks for thinking of me at 1:00! It was the most incredible experience. I'll blog about it ASAP.

Jessica said...

Some of the same things happen to me when I need a break too. Thanks for making them into a handy list for my reference. :-)

Also... good job handling everything that you handle every day. YOu rock. :-)