Sunday, October 30, 2005

Right Neighborly - or not

I had a run-in tonight. It happened about four hours ago and I'm still a little shaky.

No, it wasn't an accident - although it did involve my car. No, my physical safety wasn't in danger. No, it had nothing to do with work (although I definitely used some conflict resolution skills).

My doorbell rang a little before 7. Tonight was my neighborhood's trick-or-treat night (Halloween is huge here!). I expected that it was some kids. Instead it was a man, his sister and I think his brother-in-law. The brother and sister are sibling of a woman who lives across the street.

When I came home tonight there was very little room on my street to park. Being most recently from Chicago, this was not really a problem for me. As I squeezed my way into a tiny spot I did realize that my bumper was touching the car ahead of me (without very much room behind me). There was plenty of room for the car ahead of me to get out, but the offense I committed came in because my car was touching the man's car. (And let me say, I understand that I was in the wrong in this way and that people are protective of cars and paint jobs).

Well, I stepped outside, confused because I didn't see any kids. The sister aggressively asked if my car was my car and when I affirmed that it was proceeded to yell and swear at me. She kept asking me questions but gave no time for an answer (and then got more riled up when I didn't answer).

My legs were shaking, but I stayed standing. I soon ascertained that there was no way for me to talk to the sister - and when I discovered that the car in fact was the much calmer brother's, I talked with him. He and I left on good terms. I apologized and said that it wasn't all that unusual of a thing to happen where I had recently been, but that I understand that this is a different situation and I will not park so closely again. I apologized again and asked if there was any other way for me to respond.

The thing I don't understand completely, and would love to have someone explain to me, is why this was such an affront to them. I wonder if they thought it was a personal attack? I wonder what else it was that I did that contributed to the hostility from the sister. When I asked if I could do anything else the brother said "I just don't understand." And it felt to me like it was as serious as if someone had killed a kitten for no reason. I need some help understanding myself, it seems.

A half hour later I saw the woman who owns the house across the street outside and so I sucked in all the courage I could and went over and introduced myself, reiterating that I had not intended any offense and that I was sorry that we were just finally meeting because of this to-do. She was very nice and I think she and I are on good terms.

I've not been a very social neighbor. I've introduced myself to neighbors on either side and say hello when I pass someone, but that is not often. I have not gone out of my way here - partly because I'm in the mode of frequent moving around and apartment dwelling. This really made me appreciate all the more the importance of knowing one's neighbor.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I think it's a personal space issue. In my experience, urban people (and European people!) have a smaller bubble because you simply have to in a place where people and cars are piled up on each other. But in the relatively wide expanses of the Midwest, we've had the luxury of spreading out (and then claiming we're entitled to that luxury in every facet of our lives, including parking).

I think when I come home from here, I am probably going to go through a readjustment period where I sit and walk and bike and drive waaaay too close to my fellow Midwesterners. I will have to re-learn physical distance boundaries...

Anyway, good for you for staying calm and getting through that conflict!

Anonymous said...

Good response! She was probably high. I'm not even kidding. But really great work in following up with the neighbor- that's a big deal.

(Can you imagine their embarassment when they realize they were swearing at a pastor!!:)

Melissa

Amy said...

Thanks for the helpful comments and support. The third person who was there (a man) went to my landlady's door to apologize for the woman swearing in front of kids, and she told him that they shouldn't be swearing at me because I am a pastor. I must admit that I was happy to hear that she had said that.

It did also cross my mind that she was on something. I wouldn't be surprised if this all started as she was asked to leave her sister's house and someone was driving her home.

God help me not to be self-righteous and smug.