Thursday, October 06, 2005

Settled

This used to be a word I scorned. If someone was settled, what change could happen in his or her life? What adventures were ready to happen? What challenge? What growth?

But now, I crave it. I've been building up to this point for a couple of years. It first had to do with the desire not to move every single year. Then, I began imagining owning a dog (even though allergies would require one of the hairless variety). And now, I am thinking about purchasing a house. Let me stress 'thinking.' I have a little bit of saving to do, and a lease until the end of June. Even at that point I'll probably wait another year. But I am thinking about it.

I saw a number of friends who are in or heading towards that good settled place. How pleased I am for them! I don't know that I was or could have been before.

The difference is between settled and settling and then there is just plain old stagnation. I aim for settledness - and rejoice with my friends who are finding their way there too.

No comments: