Thursday, December 31, 2020

At the End of 2020


Our New Year's Eve is not all that different than it would have been if COVID precautions weren't part of our lives. (I'm sitting here writing at 9:30 at night...really just a night like almost any night).

We had appetizers for supper and ate at the kitchen island instead of the dinner table.We started to work on a time capsule, and wore party hats and 2021 glasses and found a kid-friendly countdown. All-in-all, it was a nice time - a little different than our day-to-day. But, nothing remarkable.

Earlier today, however, we did have a fun time. A neighbor friend (Dea) and I decided to put together a Noon Year's Eve party for kids at our playground. I think there were 10 kids with their adults - and a few other adults as well. We made egg shakers for our noise makers as well as some other crafts - and did a countdown at noon (actually at 12:01 and 15 seconds) and threw popcorn in the air. Kids played. Adults talked. There was was mishap with kids sledding, but everyone was okay in the end.

Today might actually mirror the entirety of 2020. A lot of family time spent at home. A little excitement and figuring out ways to have fun and be community in safe, Covid-friendly ways. A little fear (during the sledding mishap). Some attempt to create meaningful ways to mark time and transitions even if they feel to me like they fall a little flat. And, a lot of cleaning. 

I do not think I'll look back at this year and think it was horrible. There have certainly been some shifts in life. Issues I am thinking about now are not at all what I thought I'd be thinking about a year ago. There has been some good work begun on things I care about - and much more to do. I've gotten more organized in some ways at home. I've gotten more proficient in my cooking (even if one kid won't eat anything). I've done pretty well at developing and sticking to regular exercise. I've read a lot. 

Overall, I have much to be thankful for from this past year. I bless it and am glad to move forward into 2021.

No comments: