Sunday, July 27, 2008

Time Out

It happened again.

Just as I was about to take vacation, someone died. I realize that sentence needs to completely be in the context of me being a pastor. Each time a parishioner dies, it matters. It's sad and hopeful and beautiful - especially as people come together and memories are shared. Laughter and tears....blah, blah, blah. Y' all who read this, get it, right?

The funeral home director even commented that it seemed that most of the funerals I've had are either just as I'm coming or going from vacation - and it's not as if I take overly large amount of vacation.

I'm pretty good at having back up/on-call people. But, somehow it always works out that the funeral is just as I'm leaving or returning. Weeks that I have looked forward to because I wouldn't have to write a sermon, end up meaning I just have one fewer sermon to write.

This time, my vacation was to be only 4 days - and at my parents' home. I have discovered that I tend to digress at my parents' home, so I do try to limit my days there. But, I do like being there and was looking forward to some nice time with them. Instead, what was going to be vacation turned into a weekend, really.

I had a lovely vacation in April. And, I hope to take another one in October or November (I have a possible plan for that one). I had a "continuing ed road trip" at the beginning of July - which did get me out of the day-in/day-out of parish ministry - but was really looking at ministry.

The thing is, right now I just don't know what to do w/ the time I have. I need to take some days off that don't include Sundays. I need to look at when I'll take my two remaining Sundays. Should I save one for around Christmas? Or, should I see about using it earlier?

I need to calendar. And, I'd love to have a good idea of what vacation I'm looking forward to. I don't want to just take a vacation to sit around my house and watch tv ('though maybe a day of vacation could be that).

I would love ideas, propositions, dreams, etc.

1 comment:

The Lorax said...

Buy airline tickets. Then funerals be damned, you're already locked in. :)

I'll be back and forth next week from camp to handle a funeral of my own (wait, not my own funeral, one for my church, no wait my church didn't die (not this one).... you know what I mean).