Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Problem Solving and Partnership

Monday and Tuesday of this week were not good days. I think for the first time in the presence of my secretary, I had one of those almost-burst-into-tears-because-it's-all-too-much moments. I just could not handle the chaos. The offices were in shambles because of air conditioning being put in. That's a good thing, right? Only, for some reason neither the secretary nor myself thought (or were made aware) that it would mean two full days of drilling, constant a/c tech presence and needing to not really use our offices.

There are other things that add to the chaos. All fine/part of life/part of work/privileges/opportunities. But, it was being displaced that put me over the edge.

On Monday I had coffee with a non-pastor who works in the church who wondered how I, with limited staff, manage. It made me realize how much it is the leaders of the church - non-paid, members - people who just love the church - who I count on and who are my partners in work.

This past week I filled in the secretary (who is so much more than a secretary...she really is my partner in ministry) and the council president (another partner in ministry) on a non-issue that, if things go the wrong way, could become an issue. Individually they listened, they asked questions, they offered input and suggestions, and, of their own accord, promised to be supportive and allies should it become an issue.

These two will also be those who hold down the fort next week when I'm gone.

Who am I kidding? These two hold down the fort when I'm here!

I might be a solo pastor. But, I'm not solo in ministry. And, for that, I am thankful.

Sometimes it means that things happen that I'm not completely aware of. Which is great, really - because it means I'm not the only one making things happen. But, the other positive is that it also means that I do not hold most of the trials and tribulations - the joys and vision and privilege - alone.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hooray for partners in ministry. I'm so glad you have them!!

~moe~ said...

I was worried for a moment but thank you for such an uplifting story! It's a great reminder that it's everyone in our lives who help us be who we are and do what we need to do. Amen to that!