Thursday, June 26, 2008

Women and Men; Blessings and Surprises

Even though I would call myself a feminist, I admittedly have different expectations of women and men. Maybe that isn't so much against the feminist grain - maybe that's simply recognizing the ways in which women and men work differently (obv. with the better way being the woman's way) (ok, ok, there are benefits and problems with each...).

Yesterday, I was blessed by women. And, I was surprised by men. Good day, doncha think?

Yesterday our local gathering of pastors sent the one other woman in our group on her way to a ministry in a different location and a different way. We prayed, we shared communion, we read Scripture - and we planned for what our group will be. I was blessed by her - in her partnership (because, we were colleagues in keeping this group accountable), in her affirming words (so, the sometimes difficult words that come out of my mouth often succeed at being insightful, with truth...yet told with love - phew), in her gifting of some of the books she will no longer need. She has been a blessing to have as a nearby colleague, and I will miss her.

And the men in that group - some of them at least - are dedicated to it, even if they don't always follow through. And, a couple of them picked up some of the tasks to make sure that when we begin next fall again, we'll have meetings with purpose and depth. They surprised me. I'm grateful for that.

Then, at Soup Kitchen last night, I stopped by to talk to the graceful nun (who really looks like a movie star - and is so well respected in this community) who was taking blood pressures. I just wanted to say that I was glad that she was there taking blood pressures. She countered with high praise of all that was going on in the church - something she would not say if she didn't mean it. I am obviously aware that I'm not the one doing the work to make all of this happen - but it does feel good to know that what is going on in my community (with some input, work and guidance from me) is needed, thought well of, appreciated. Especially by another one who works among people in poverty.

And, I was surprised by a couple of interaction with men who are working through things. One, in a positive way - he's surviving through some adversity. Another, in a not-so-positive way, as he intentionally broke a rule last night - for which I had to kick him out. I've had to do that with his buddy before, but never with him. He has always been respectful of the rules before - and it surprised me that he chose not to last night.

Finally, I was surprised at how easily a couple of my property guys responded to my concern about the mess the A/C guys were making in the Sanctuary - and the Wedding Rehearsal/Ceremony on Friday and Saturday. I'm also relieved that they're going to handle everything (and that they are pretty sure that it's part of the contract for the workers to clean it all up. I sure hope so. But, I'm also confident that these guys will make sure things are in order.

There were other blessings and surprises yesterday. But, this is already lengthy enough - and I need to go be blessed and surprised with a whole new day.

No comments: