Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Multiple Vegetable Dishes, Not Yet Reported

You may have thought that I had stopped cooking my vegetable dishes. It isn't so. I just haven't been reporting them consistently. Let the documentation commence:

I hosted my book club's May meeting, which gave me the occasion to make two different things that could be used as appetizers.

The first: Roasted Red Peppers with Garlic & Lime (pg 81). I put these w/ goat cheese and a wheat bagel cracker. I think the vegetable was fine - but the goat cheese and the crackers were what people really went after. Oh well.
And Tunisian Eggplant(pg 53). I had a lot of this left over and used it on some chicken. That was really very good. As an appetizer, it was only ok.The next two dishes are really 2-in-1. The first is used in the preparation of the 2nd. The green mess below is Arugula Gremolata (pg 6). The book says, "Traditional gremolata is a feathery mix of finely rendered parsley, garlic, and lemon zest - most notably used as a topping for the Italian dish osso buco."And here is what it was put in: Farfalle with Arugula Gremolata, Gorgonzola, Golden Raisins & Walnuts (pg 7). My grocery store does not carry Golden Raisins, so I just ignored them.This may be the best name in the entire book: Bell Pepper Festival (pg 20). It was very simple and would go with almost anything. The left overs went into a really tasty omelet. And finally, here is Avocado Strawberry Saladita (pg 13). This was really good on chicken - and incredibly simple. Also, helped me learn what a jicama is. I would even bet you that your grocery store carries jicama.So, I have been cooking. Not as much as I would like, but some nonetheless. And, it's almost summer when the good veggies start to roll in!

No comments: