Sunday, June 22, 2008

Asparagas and Tarragon

My, my. It's been a vegetable-ful week. The Farmer's Market started yesterday - which was wonderful. Except...I only got Spinach (and a little basil plant) there. In addition to these four vegetable dishes, I've also experimented myself with other veggies. But, it's not really about the other veggies.

This lovely dish is Tarragon-Pecan Asparagus (pg 12). It was very tasty, but it definitely felt like it made way more than the 4-5 servings the book indicates.
I made these: Feta-Walnut-Stuffed Cucumbers (pg 46) for a potluck for a Vacation Bible School event. The kids all passed it up - but the parents sure enjoyed it :) (It wasn't really intended for the kiddos anyway). I had a lot of the stuffing left over - and ended up making my own unique burrito - with spinach, onions, zucchini and red peppers. I don't know that you really can go wrong with a feta/walnut combo.

And then here comes more asparagus. I've been meaning to make this for some time, but the combination of the required marinating time (2 hours to two days) and that it suggested opening the windows during cooking (because you reduce the vinegar w/ the ginger), detracted from it's appeal. But, when I finally made Gingered Asparagus (pg 10) - I loved it! I wish I had done this one sooner!And finally, I had to use the left over tarragon and so made this ultra-easy dish: Roasted Tarragon Succotash (pg 118). Seriously - frozen corn, frozen edamame (or lima beans or green chick peas), a bulb of garlic and tarragon....so so easy. And, yummy.

No comments: