Thursday, June 19, 2008

Three Years

When I was thinking about entering seminary I talked with an assistant to the bishop of my home synod. If I was going to go to seminary, I wanted what came afterwards to go a certain way. I wanted to be a chaplain in a homeless shelter.

The thing is, at that time the ELCA would not ordain a person into a chaplaincy, but he or she would have to first serve for three years in a parish before they moved on to that specialized ministry. (I'm not sure of the policy now, but I do know that there have been special cases where this hasn't been the requirement).

That requirement did not work with what I thought my life plan included. As I talked with the assistant to the bishop, I tried to explain why I would need to go directly into chaplaincy and forgo the required three years.

She looked at me kindly and said, "Amy, go to seminary and let the Spirit guide you."

In those years in seminary I learned that I do really love many aspects of parish ministry as well. And, I lucked out (or the Spirit was at work), in that after seminary the church to which I am called includes ministry among people in poverty (with a Soup Kitchen, Free Clinic and Senior Ministry programs).

I'm have now come upon 3 years. Three years ago yesterday I was ordained. Three years ago Saturday I started my job with the title Pastor.

When I started here, I was asked how long I would stay. I didn't really answer, but indicated that I didn't intend to get out of it as quickly as possible, but nor did I imagine that it would be the last church to which I am called.

I've not started to think of leaving. But, that three year mark feels like an accomplishment. And, while I don't know where or when the Spirit will blow, I continue to feel like I'm doing what I need to do. Even if it's not following the exact plan with which I started.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the juxtaposition of Mollie Katzen and the Holy Spirit. :-)

Yes indeed: the Spirit, she blows where she chooses. I wonder how many of us, post-seminary, would say that we followed *our* plans, and how many of us had to chuck those out in favor of God's. :-)

Jessica said...

Oh, and congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, three years? How time flies!

It's been so great to keep up with your happenings through your blog, and I know you've been doing amazing ministry in your church and your community. I wouldn't expect anything less from Amy B., but I hope you know how important and effective your ministry is...I even know it from across the country!

Sooos excited to see you in a few weeks!

Backwoods Rev said...

Happy anniversary! Wow- has it really been three years already? And I'm not packing boxes to move anywhere?