Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Refreshing Vegetables

Three more dishes. All quite refreshing. Which, is good. 'Cause it's nearing the end of July and refreshing is always appreciated in the hot, sticky, summer months. It's not as if these dishes were cold - two required cooking and were best served hot - they just were refreshing.

This is Simplest Summer Squash (pg 114). I love squash - zucchini, yellow squash, etc. And this was a great dish. I used some leftovers in an omelet and it was fantastic. What doesn't go well in an omelet, right? Except, this was exceptional.

There's a great greenhouse in Milwaukee called Growing Power.
I've purchased from them before....but this dish: Garlicky Pea Shoot Tangle (pg 79) required pea shoots - the only ones available were from Growing Power. Which, I gladly purchased. This was a lovely dish - best used as a side. Easy, easy, easy. And tasty.

Shaved Fennel with Red Onion, Olive Oil, and Oranges (pg 62)...I think they wanted lots of "o's". This seemed a bit like that almost coleslaw-ey-ish salad that includes oranges. But, it was better. I didn't "shave" correctly because I don't have the right tools. But, it still turned out very well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should either start a cooking show or write a cookbook...looks fancy, but sounds easy to make...you are my hero :)