Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Right Place at the Wrong Time

There are many reasons I do what I do (obv. the big bucks and the free wine every Sunday), not the least of which is that I am regularly in the right place at the wrong time.

Milwaukee is in the midst of a blizzard. Somewhere between 10 and 14 inches have fallen today. It's beautiful, heavy, wet stuff. My dead-end is a mess - no plow has been in it at all - and I'm parked one block over (taking over a kind man's spot who helped me as I attempted to cross the street - but got stuck before I even entered the intersection).

Many churches canceled their Ash Wednesday services, but we did not. I'm from Minnesota. You don't cancel things because of a little snow. Actually, my main thought was for the Soup Kitchen - there are some people whose best hot meal of the week is our Soup Kitchen.

Throughout the afternoon I kept second guessing myself. Should we have canceled? Could we yet?

The cooks called and said they could come. Ok - it's on. Other volunteers called. Some to say they were not coming - others to say they were. People watched the news to see if we had canceled - and then called when they didn't see our name to make sure.

The organist called - plowed into his subdivision. We tweaked the service.

Slowly people started to trickle in. A handful of homeless people, but just as many volunteers. I kept reminding myself - we all need the church - not just those who seem needy.

Then, one of our homeless guys - who had been out shoveling (who had been at it all day and was yet as I left) came in with a kid saying his mom had kicked him out.

A 16-yr old who had been jumped in October - by a bunch of kids who wanted him to join a gang. His family moved into our area after that...away from the other kids. Money was tight, his mom was angry with him for disrespecting her...he recognized that it was at stressful times that he and his mom got in the most fights. This was the second time this week he'd been kicked out - and this time he had been out in the blizzard for 5 hours.

I wasn't exactly sure what to do, but I told him to come in, dry off - we would get him some food and make sure he had a place to go and stay. I had no idea where that place would be...could I put a 16 yr old up in a motel? What if all the shelters were full?

I called the emergency number and got the numbers for a couple of youth shelters. The first one was full - but they said to call back at 9 in case everyone who was supposed to show up didn't. They also gave me the number of the other shelter I had gotten. I called there and explained the situation - and Mary, the woman on the other end of the phone, was so incredibly helpful.

The youth shelter is for youth 11-17, for up to 2 weeks at a time. The catch? They need parental permission. They can house a certain number of youth for 12 hours without permission, but if that were to be the case we would want to time when he came in - so he wasn't being pushed out into the streets at 6am.

It turns out it sounded like him mom would give permission - after our Ash Wednesday service, the council president (who has 4-wheel drive) and I drove him to the house. I was relieved to see it had a number of different accreditations posted on the door - including The United Way. After making sure it was legit and he wasn't going to be kicked out in a strange neighborhood (and after giving him the church's phone number) we left him there.

I know the journey isn't over for him - and perhaps not with us involved. But, I am so thankful that we were there tonight. I am so thankful that one of our homeless guys struck up a conversation in the middle of a blizzard and invited him in. I am so thankful that there was an opening for him at the youth house. And I pray that he will received needed help.

2 comments:

Backwoods Rev said...

You, dear friend, never cease to amaze me.

On a lighter note, after that beautiful post, you've been tagged! Here's a little meme for you at Holy Grounds

Peace, dear friend

Beams said...

Hi ...been lurking from time to time and enjoying your blog. So glad you opened up regardless of the weather, I mean where do the homeless go in this inhospitable weather? Thank you for your generosity of spirit. Remember one kid coming into our drop in centre who's gran had kicked him out. We took him home for one night and he stayed four years! was a real learning curve for us both!!