Tuesday, June 05, 2007

NOT Burning Down the House

A while I go I mentioned I'd blog at some point about automatic shut offs. If I'm able to trust them they make life so much simpler. It's trust that's the issue.

In November of 2005 I headed out from Milwaukee to meet a friend in Madison. We met to do some Christmas Shopping, go to the Nutcracker (? right? I think so) and just hang out. I was running late and left the house in a hurry. When I was 1/2 way to Madison I couldn't remember whether I'd shut off the iron.

My iron was supposed to have an automatic shut off, but it had never been consistent in this task. I fretted as I drove and convinced myself to keep going.

While the weekend was wonderful, the fear that I would arrive home to a burned down house due to my lack of iron unplugging was a cloud over the entire trip. When I returned home (to a fully standing and unburnt house) I discovered that I had unplugged the iron and everything was just fine.

I have a new iron now that does shut off automatically. As does my coffee maker and my computer. I really like these things that shut off. I'm somewhat compulsive in some of these behavioral things (I always drive with my lights on...and I always habitually turn them off as I turn off my car). But every once in a while something I didn't do will catch me by surprise (like setting my parking break - oi!).

Fortunately, I now don't have to worry about burning down my house with my iron. Now, about those candles...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hooray for not burning down the house. :-)

My car turns its own lights on and off automatically - so I always drive with lights on, too. It's pretty cool.