Thursday, June 14, 2007

Messy, Chaotic Reality

I'd like to think that I can be an example of *yes, you too could be a pastor* for the young adults (and perhaps some youth) that are spending time at my congregation this summer. This week there are at least 2 that are looking to further education to possibly head in this direction - and these are the two that sought me out - who knows who else there is.

But, this week has offered observations of chaos and the unknown rather than an attractive future job possibility.

They have personally encountered the helplessness of someone who comes for "help" but who really just wants someone else to fix them. They have encountered people who seek to lambast anything that has to do with organized religion (as they seek out a place of sanctuary). They have seen me running around like a headless chicken trying to figure out where in the gosh darn building the messed up fuse boxes are - and having to deal with overloaded circuits. They have been lectured for being too loud for the people who come to the free clinic.

Not really the picture that would draw anyone to the ministry. I only hope that the other experiences they are having balance out the experience at my place.

I just want to tell them: It is really great! Believe me...it's not always like this. And sometimes, there's blessing in all this messed up crap too.

Maybe they'll still go into this particular track of education but specify - I don't want to be in a building that is falling apart or someplace where random people come in. Maybe they'll build up tough skins (mine has become steel - figuratively) and realize that there is amazing goodness in being intimately involved in people's messy lives - even when they hate what you represent. Maybe they'll see in this craziness something that appeals...affirmation of a call.

God, help them.

2 comments:

Backwoods Rev said...

And She will...

Anonymous said...

I've thought about it, but it's the messiness of the administrative stuff that procludes me.