Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Downside of an Extraordinary Life

I visit a woman who most people would characterized as having "lost it." She talks about knowing the Queen of England and other important people. She has told me of her great importance in many different incredible circles. Every time I visit her she tells me she's going home that day. Her world is extremely different than the one I, and most other people, live in.

Today though, her world was a bit more honest with mine. Her world was most likely the same for her. But, today she told me that it's really hard because people don't believe her.

She's bright - I think in her early 60's. And she knows that people don't believe what she believes. Since she started allowing me to visit (the first few times I tried really aggrivated her) I have gone in with an eagerness of hearing about her world. I simply ask her to tell me more about what she is thinking about. It's not my job to contradict her. And, her theology is always right on (which would be my job).

I had previously thought that she was somewhat oblivious to the way she might be perceived. But, she's not. And I feel sad that she's not.

Maybe it's not so easy to live an extraordinary live.

No comments: