Saturday, January 27, 2007

Grumpy Old Men

I have an affinity for grumpy old men.

I love 'em.

I don't have a specific age group in mind with "old." Some are actually rather young.

One of my favorite grumpy old men just died.

He was a member of my call committee and loved by many (including me).

He was ready and faced it bravely, making the decision to be put on palliative care himself and to eat sugar (no more Splenda) now that he didn't need to watch his diabetes.

At Christmas Eve he wasn't doing so well and came to worship in a wheelchair. Prior to this he had been quite agile and able to move around well. He had been scheduled to serve communion that night. I approached him and said that we could figure something out if he wasn't able to be a communion assistant. But, he said he wanted to serve. And so he did.

From his wheelchair he offered people the blood of Christ. For some people, that will be their last memory of him.

He was not shy about the fact that going into the interview with me he did not think a young woman could be his pastor. He was also not shy about the fact, that he was proud that they did call me.

Blessings, Grumpy Old Man. Rest in Peace.

1 comment:

Abba said...

Here's to another lover of grumpy old and not-so-old men. Thanks for sharing your story of this particular one with us.