Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Sit

I'm always amazed when it seems like I do nothing whatsoever and people feel like I'm doing so much.

We are doers - so much so that it's depressing for many elderly as they become less and less able to do what they formerly did.

But, I've sat with people a lot recently. Not doing anything...because really, what could I do?

My heart is hurting for some. It's sometimes in my throat for others - or in my stomach for still others. And I can't do anything.

And that's okay.

Today, my office was a safe place to share - earlier this week I was the person who hadn't yet heard the stories a million times - this weekend I'll be one who doesn't shun one embroiled in sin.

In a common confession we confess for the things we've done and the things we've left undone. But, it's not always about doing or not doing something. Although it's not very easy, I feel privileged to do my job by just sitting with another.

No comments: