Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Insider

I was allowed in tonight - into a frigid camp under a freeway.

I was allowed in tonight - into the pain of a father's concern for his (grown) son whom no insurance company will accept - and whose medication costs $1500 a week.

I was allowed in today - into excited expectation for the coming role.

I was allowed in today - into the homebound woman's fears...even if she won't allow me in her home.

I admit, I take some joy and glee at reading celebrity gossip rags. I also enjoy many different forms of reality television. In some ways, each of these are ways people are allowed into others' lives.

I think I have it better being allowed in to real people's lives.

2 comments:

Backwoods Rev said...

I agree.

It's better, messier, harder, lovlier, more heartbreaking, and more beautiful than anything with a glossy cover.

You are an amazing woman, my friend.

kendi said...

yes, i agree, it's better with real people. i worry that the people with the glossy pictures have no one who actually is helping them, just a bunch of voyeurs.

but i do have my moments when i wish that i could isolate myself from the real people the way i turn off the t.v.

most of the time, though, i'm energized by the privilege.