Monday, February 19, 2007

Having the Right Tools


Earlier this month I bought this from IKEA. It's been partially put together in my living room since I got it home. It seems I was missing a particular tool (maybe an awl?) that would make it easier to put the wheels on.
I persistently worked on the screws enough that I had stripped one and didn't really want to torture my hands any more than I already had, so I decided I needed an electric screwdriver. I thought about buying one, but have not made it to the store to even price them or do any research, and I would think I'd like to know what I was getting into with something like that.
So, I finally borrowed one and got the wheels on....only to have multiple other problems that finally got (almost) figured out. I love doing this kind of building-by-number thing...and could see myself getting into further projects that don't come with ready-made pieces. But, I really need the right tools.
So, as many of these posts go, this too goes back to how I'm managing at my job. February has been so much better than January. People are starting to know of some of the happenings in January - and that feels a little bit like wading through some unknowns as to how to lead. BUT - I do feel like I have some competent, good, newly-in-place "tools" in the form of people who are stepping into certain positions.
Before now I feel like I've been trying to do every single job with a Phillips Head Screwdriver and a hammer...my tool box is expanding...I just hope these new tools feel competent, challenged and fulfilled.

No comments: