Sunday, October 29, 2006

Barely contained...

My Canadian pastor friend, Jason, called last night to say hi and to run the concept of his sermon by me. On this Reformation Sunday he, in true Lutheresque mode, decided that the best metaphor for sin is farting.

You know, that sometimes we just can't help it, that it can pervade the room or be silent, but deadly, or be a little toot that no one notices. He also likened it to the fact that sometimes we try to blame it on someone else, or worse yet (my opinion) that we proudly claim it.

So, for worship at my congregation this morning we had a former pastor back to share the Word in continued celebration of our 75th Anniversary year. He also had the children's sermon and started to talk about sin - and that sometimes it just builds up and builds up until you just need to confess- and at about that time I could feel the giggles building up and building up inside me.

He and the parents that were up there with their kids probably just thought I was smiley broadly as he shared the Word with the kids. If only they knew what I was thinking...

2 comments:

Backwoods Rev said...

I giggled too! I imagine the next time I hear the topic preached, well, I imagine the 'giggle loop' will build up as well! Great image- daring to preach it!

kendi said...

i really wish i could preach a sermon like this, but somehow i feel like it would be artificial, and that wouldn't be good. some people can do this kind of stuff, and i don't think i'm one of them. what a great story for a "life of ministry" memoir someday!