Sunday, August 07, 2005

Where did I store that supply of anti-loneliness potion?

Yup, it's hit. I'm not mopey or feeling sorry for myself, but I am noticing a starkness to my life. I'm feeling lonely. I've got some friends here, and some plans to spend time with said friends later this week, but I am feeling that umph in the gut that craves being known and loved.

I think Sunday afternoons are especially hard, and I need to remember that. Sunday afternoon, after an intense morning, is the time when I want to be with people, but not have to expend much energy. I want to be comfortably in the presence of another. I want to easily pick up and go somewhere for dinner or entertainment without having to figure it all out myself.

I do like to spend time by myself - this afternoon I read the Sunday paper while I watched part of a movie on tv (Evita, which is why I turned it on, for the music. I kept it on because someone had mixed up the reels and the movie was in three parts. The station showed the third part first, then the second part, then the first part. It made me laugh). I read a book in this gorgeous weather. I talked to my mom and my brother. I contemplated shopping for a new bed, but decided I'd much rather stay on my deck reading that book, and I made dinner. Not a bad afternoon...but I do miss the comfortable familiar.

I know this will just take time. I am in the process of making friends with whom I will be comfortable, and I know that I will frequently get to see some other already close friends who are close by (as I did on Friday and had a fabulous time). But, this is where I am now, and it's hard.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Amused, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. :-( I'm glad you know what you need and how to get it. I hope that some wonderful friends come your way soon.