Saturday, January 01, 2005

Seeing Red

My friend Belle (hi!) can read people's colors - and I've gotten so I can guess pretty well what a person's emotional color would be. According to Belle, mine is blue - although I think the shade changes from time to time.

Yesterday, for the New Year's celebration I attended, I wore a bright red shirt, that I have to say was an excellent color for me. As I was reflecting on the colors that look good on me and the colors that I emote (one of my new favorite words - if it is a real word, the spell check doesn't recognize it) I thought to the most recent time when I emotionally saw red. An accusation towards another whom I love caused me to have tunnel vision which was edged by reddish light. I said things that I wish I didn't say and reacted so strongly I scared myself a bit.

When I worked at the homeless shelter we had a controversy surrounding the color of the walls. When I (and most of the other staff) started there the walls were a bright red - due, I'm sure, to a donation of paint. The staff of the mental health clinic in town called us out on our red walls - because the color agitates, and a smoky, loud, hot day-shelter with few rules does not need anything extra to agitate. We, the staff, re-prioritized and ended up painting the walls a green color. And while we did not experiment to determine how much the color changed the atmosphere, I would guess that it did.

It sometimes feels good to see red - and to respond out of it. At the same time, I'm glad that for the most part I emote blue. I don't think I need any extra agitation.


1 comment:

Abba said...

What does the color one exudes say about one's personality? As someone in the graphic arts, I find this fascinating.