Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Anyone figured out human cloning yet? (Or the ethics of it?)

It's a big week for me. Not only am I finishing up my J-term class, not only am I leaving for a week on a cruise (a cruise?!?) almost as soon as that class is done, but my little brother is coming through with a few friends.

I'm not the "cool" sister. I'm the oldest, the responsible, the one who hasn't had all that many interactions with him apart from at our parents' home. But I yearn to get to know this really fantastic brother of mine better.

The challenge is: we'll be out and about at night, but I have class at 8 am the next day and leave shortly after class from the above mentioned cruise. I want to be a cool sister who hangs out until the wee hours (especially 'cause that is what he is used to) but I'm just not a night owl.

I think I'll be cloning myself for the end of this week - just to do everything that I need/want to do. And, then both clones too will be acquiring the skill of insomnia (a skill?) to be able to spend time with the people that I want and complete the things I need to complete.

My last post talked about responsibility. And now it's not clear. What is my responsibility? To spend time with loved ones? to prepare for a time of rest and relaxation (self-care)? or to complete well something that is going to better my career? I'm not going to let any of them go - but my choice is going to mean that none of them will be done as well or thoroughly (or with enough time) as I would like.

On a tangent - next semester I'm taking a class on genetics and faith - perhaps more on cloning then.

No comments: