Thursday, December 20, 2007

How Can A Picture Tell This Story??

On Sunday we blessed boilers. Well, actually, we blessed the people who have made the boilers possible and those who will benefit from them. (Strictly speaking, we dedicated the boilers). Such an oddity, and fun in its strangeness.

There was an article in the local community free paper about homelessness, telling the story of three people who I know well. I had met the reporter while dressed as a gypsy (at the Halloween party I attended...I don't generally dress like a gypsy) and he knew about my church's Soup Kitchen. He called about a month later saying that the paper was wanting to write an article about homelessness in our neighborhood. He asked if he could come and talk to some people at the Soup Kitchen. I said I would ask some specific people - and they were willing and happy to talk about their situation with him. The article was well done, really long, and told an honest story.

Yesterday, God knocked on the church door a few times...but most strikingly in the form of two individuals who entered within 1/2 an hour of each other. One who wasn't intending to ask for a handout, but who was invited in and was in need of a specific thing that we had plenty of, and another who stopped in to share some wealth...in the form of cash.

Today, I am brokering a snow removal deal between a member of the congregation and a homeless man.

When my mom's side of the family gathers together we are supposed to bring a picture of something that tells a story about our year. I'm not sure where to start...if this less than a week, what does a year look like?

I might just see if I can get a picture of myself in front of one of the new boilers. I'd love other suggestions.

3 comments:

Backwoods Rev said...

I think the gypsy in the soup kitchen... you are bold and the beautiful. The gospel nourishing people in so many ways.

Your ministry is just amazing. Thank you. Merry Christmas, dear friend.

Pink Shoes said...

What a great story -- Thank you for sharing it! And, I agree with Backwoods Rev. Or just a picture of the boilers....

Jessica said...

Yeah, I was gonna say gypsy too. :-)