Sunday, November 06, 2005

The pastor and the single girl

Scene - cold windy day, I'm dropping my car off in the driveway of a parishioner who lives 5 houses down from me. I will be out of town for a few days and will not be able to abide by this city's parking stipulation of alternating sides of the street according to the day.

I am standing outside talking to this dear, dear saint - who also happens to be very good at spreading information when an attractive (ringless) man with a very nice dog and adorable child comes by. He and the parishioner start up a conversation as he is obviously checking me out (I swear...I don't believe I usually think someone is when he isn't...I might sometimes be oblivious, but I don't think I overestimate myself).

As one who is intensely private about such things, I kept quiet...in another circumstance, I'm not sure that I would.

He turned around a couple houses down and headed back in our direction as the dear saint and I were finishing our conversation. It almost worked that the attractive man and myself would have been walking together, except that as I started to walk away the dear, dear parishioner called me back for further conversation. (Minnesota goodbyes are not just in Minnesota). Ah well - it could just be that he's just one not to wear rings and maybe I looked familiar to him or something. Who knows.

The pastor and the single girl are at odds with each other sometimes.

2 comments:

Abba said...

No, no, no, this is good. He lives in your neighborhood, and the dog obviously needs regular walking. Just figure out his dog-walking schedule and plan your outdoor activities (leaf-raking, etc.) around his schedule.

Jessica said...

Exactly. Abba is right about the dog-walking. Stalk a little!

I have both "minister" and "single girl" in me too. Sometimes they're unlikely bedfellows.