Saturday, March 05, 2005

An Adventure Waiting to Happen

From my place in southern Chicago I drive north on the Kennedy Expressway (really Hwys 90/94) towards the headquarters of my church denomination, O'Hare Airport, Ikea, etc. It's possible to take the express lanes, which are different than other express lanes that I've known in that they are not HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes but rather lanes where one is able to exit at only a few times. They are similar, I suppose to the express bus that only stops at certain locations along the route.

In my tenure in Chicago I've frequently taken this route. Every time I drive to my parents' home in St. Paul I drive this way. Along the way Highways 90 and 94 split - I most frequently take the one that travels closest along the previously mentioned sites and that ultimately brings me to my folks' house. When I take the express lanes I reach the point where 90 and 94 diverge and take the appropriate exit to continue along 90 - but I yearn to take the very cool way to 94. In the express lanes when 90 and 94 split, not only do those that take this route get to use two lanes as they go, they also get to travel on a large bridgy-overpass. It looks like an adventure waiting to happen, and I want to take it.

I am now going to get the chance to take it, perhaps multiple times. I found out last night that I have been assigned to the Greater Milwaukee Synod!! I now get to take the route marked "Milwaukee," overpass and all. It is an adventure waiting to happen and I am thrilled!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hi Amused,
This is wonderful news!! An exciting synod, and a big city even... good luck! And congratulations.