Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Music Challenge

I've been tagged by Abba (of Ligature fame) to take the music challenge. Here goes:

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
- 448 files downloaded primarily from my CD's with some of my roommate's as well. A couple of strange songs came with the computer itself.

What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?
- Well, the first time I read the message, I don't remember. The second time I believe it was a song from the "Don't Mess With Texas Music" CD. This time, I think it was a blues tune. Can't tell you what, but probably by either Miles Davis or John Coltrane.

Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
1) "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac. It's found on "The Dance" CD which also brings me another favorite, "Bleed to Love Her." It's just good, heartfelt music. I get the same feeling that I get when I listen to certain Janis Joplin songs.

2) "Love Will Come To You" by Indigo Girls. It's hard to pick just one Indigo Girls' song, but this would be it if I had to. Despite the fact that it is schmoopy (and perhaps because it is) it has found its way onto mixes and being repeated. I suppose it could also be because I just really want to believe what the song says. I have it on the "Rites of Passage" album, although it could be on others.

3) U2 - Do I need to clarify? Yeah, I do, 'cause some of what they put out is fine, but it doesn't all get me in the gut like certain songs. "Grace," "Running to Stand Still," "Evolution" (purely 'cause the concert rocked and I felt euphoric as they entranced to this song), "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." These are found either on "Joshua Tree" or "All That You Can't Leave Behind." They each get me for different reasons, and I can rate them differently, but none over the other. I admit, this is the "in" group to be obsessed with, but I'd like to think that I like them despite that.

4) "I'll Rise" by Ben Harper. Yes, Abba, Ben Harper does it make it on my list. I do like him, but I don't know that I would put any of his albums in my top 5 album list. However, this fabulous song, with lyrics by Maya Angelou does make a mention in this top 5 list. Ask me next week, who knows. Even though it doesn't make my top 5 albums (because compilations always do better for me than one artist) "Welcome to the Cruel World" is a great album.

5) Only one more left? Geez! Well, because I've found myself replaying this song more than once lately I'm going to choose as my last (for this time) song as "Love is Everywhere" by Bob Schneider. I have it on my favorite compilation disc set "Broadcasts Volume 11"

Well, for this day, March 22nd, 2005 these are my favorites. Tomorrow they may be different.

Who are you going to pass this on to (3 people) and why?
Well, seeing as I only have 4 blogging connections and two of them have done this already, I'll pass it on to the two others who have not yet been tagged. These are two fabulous friends whom I greatly respect, particularly in regards to music. Both Bellerina and Meckhead will come up with some great possibilities.

P.S. This is my first ever post putting in links and I just had to celebrate what I hope to be successful linkage - yay!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Uff! I gave myself away - not only was it listed, but I even admitted to listening to it. SouthAustin, you caught me...shh, don't tell anyone.