Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Immeasurable Emotion

I was ready for adventure, for living in places that were of a different culture, people and accent. I was ready to have to fly home for family holidays and important events. But, I'm staying put.

Tonight, along with my classmates, I found out the area of the country I am assigned for my first call as a pastor. In our process we have the opportunity to provide preferences and ideas, but ultimately (with guidance from the Holy Spirit) bishops and other officials decide. I had preferenced three places, my top two choices being on either coast. I landed right in the middle at my third choice.

I am happy to be here. There are a lot of exciting possibilities and I will be closer to family. I know that a lot has yet to be decided and I trust the process and the Spirit's movement throughout.

And yet, I have to say goodbye to the dream of living out West with good friends and family. The dream of being able to visit "the mountain" on my day off. I have to give up the dream of living in the bustling East and being able to visit great cities that I've never been on my day off.

My emotions are mixed. They aren't bad or good - I can't measure them and weigh them. They just are. Jumbled with the excitement of what is to come is a letting go of what will not be.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! They still want you. I like your attitude: let the good times roll... or let the bad times roll off you like the proverbial water off the proverbial duck's back. Anyway, you'll be great on whatever coast (or even in the middle). And this is just your first call, even. We are talking three years here, not 30. :-) Maybe you will get to a coast eventually... ANyway, good luck!!