Monday, December 13, 2004

Every Plant Needs a Little Sun

Sometimes I feel like everyone else. But sometimes I'm keenly aware of being different because of vocation. This last week I've been completely aware that I have different responsibility...and I don't feel weighed down by it so much as that I feel guarded. Within this wall I am completely myself. I am able to be strong and a leader. I am able to be passionate and compassionate.

If I am what is inside the wall, then there is a little hut in the middle of the grounds that has extra security. Most everyone can get inside the main walls. But this next set of walls is very guarded. No one has discovered the password - and I won't even allow anyone to guess. There is a plant inside the hut that needs light - I worry that sometimes the plant gets no light because all of the other things need tending too - the owner of the hut is very rarely home enough to tend to it. No matter how much the owner of the hut waters the plant and tends to other things in the hut and outside of the hut, the plant still needs sun.

The problem is exacerbated because the owner (me) has no idea how to start getting the plant a little sun...and because the weather has been a bit gray lately anyway.

So - I'm going to finish this post because I'm tired. And, I'm going to post it. It's not complete and it may not make much sense...but it's what is coming to mind at the moment. Perhaps another day I can figure out how to get some sunlight to that plant - or maybe you can offer suggestions (if you have any idea what I'm talking about). I understand that I'll always have some plant in my hut that is a little dry or in need of light - but this one is withering - more than is healthy.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

The first thing that struck me is that it is hard to get light to a plant that is locked up so tightly that no one has the password... One way to let the sunlight in there would be to let it open up a little: a window, a skylight, or if you are feeling really bold, a greenhouse. Or alternatively, loan someone the key for a while, to see what happens. The plant in the hut might surprise you with its resilience and response to a new situation. And if it gets too scary, you do have the option of changing the locks or boarding up the sunroof. :-)
I am not sure that my response makes much sense either, but your post spoke to me and arranged its own sense inside my head, and that is what I'm responding to. If it's crap, ignore it (allow me, however, to make the connection between crap and fertilizer...).