Monday, November 22, 2004

Losing touch

Every once in a while, depending on how I sleep, my middle finger on my right hand loses some of it's ability to feel. I've talked to the dr. about it and it's a minor case of carpal tunnel syndrome. It doesn't really impact my day at all, I just notice it from time to time, particularly when typing.

I've been given some exercises to do (and no, none of them include extending that particular finger in someone's direction), and it really only comes when my hand falls asleep while underneath my head. (A side comment - It's intriguing to me that while I'm asleep, my body parts can fall into further sleep).

This slight loss of touch really reminds me how much I appreciate touch. When I'm having a bad day a hand on my back or a back scratch is so comforting. A hug, or playful roughhousing can be invigorating. As I look towards a future in which I do not know where or with whom I'll be 6 months from now, it makes me want to soak up all the touching I can. I'll be losing touch then too. I just need to find the right exercises so that I can re-aquire it.

1 comment:

Abba said...

Now you've done it. You can't blame flipping someone off on your carpal tunnel exercises anymore, since you've revealed in your blog it's not legitimate therapy. Oh, and have I mentioned how I love the way you used the word "pagination" in your blog description. You know how to make a designer's day.