Wednesday, August 05, 2020

What Will Bloom

At our new home we acquired amazing landscaping. There are roses, perennials that attract bees and butterflies, flowering trees, hostas and more hostas. There are some things I don't like (like those ferns that seem to take over whichever bed they are in), and lots I don't know. But, I'm looking things up and learning. 

I'm learning that trees shouldn't have things planted too close to their trunk. I didn't plant anything, but I also didn't thin enough this Spring (not knowing what was going to be coming up). I'm learning that some plants need to be let to wilt and yellow - and that helps with next year's flowering. But, there are some that should be deadheaded. 

The rosebuds in the picture above are, I believe, the 3rd flowering of this plant. Theses plants are surviving Japanese Beetles (my nemesis...or perhaps I should say I have become their nemesis). When I smell their sweetness I think of the Hunger Games descriptions of President Snow's flower's smell. They have a strong, sweet aroma. They are pretty. And, they are determined. They keep coming back, ready to blossom. 

I'm identifying with these buds, myself. Except I'm eager to get to that point where something is about to bloom - where I'll begin to see the color, smell the fragrance of what I will do with my energy beyond home and children. I have some ideas, but I also wonder if there is something out there that will reveal itself to me that is unlike what I have done before. 

No comments: