Sunday, February 02, 2014

Not so busy

"If you want to get something done, ask a busy person."

I have found this to be true. And, until recently I have been that kind of busy person. But now, I'm not.

This is the first time in my adult life that I am home most evenings. I'm reading. I'm following tv shows (although, Netflix tv often trumps network television). I'm cooking dinner 2-4 nights a week - like really cooking, not just warming things up. As I've mentioned before, I'm taking classes - well, now only one. My Spanish class was cancelled due to low enrollment.

I have enough time to complete all I want to do. Although, I still often don't get everything I'd like to done. There is not much urgency or importance. If I don't walk in the morning, there is always theoretical time in the evening...or the next morning. I am no longer feeling overwhelmed, or overextended, or exhausted, and I like that.

And, I am having a lot of BIG thoughts - about life, about faith, about what I would like to do. But, with no real outlet for them, they start to get lost.

I'm feeling a restlessness - and, at the same time, a selfishness with my time. I'm not so sure I want to commit to much, because I am enjoying this time of not extending myself too much. I'm enjoying being able to do all that I mentioned before. And, I hope to do more of those things that I've had on my list for ages (actually taking Spanish classes, guitar lessons, volunteering with something other than church, perhaps a cooking class or two).

I guess it comes down to decisions, and being willing to put myself out there - whether it's for things that are selfishly for me or for others (which, really, that's for me too). And, it's a question of balance - of how to say yes, but not too much.

No comments: