Sunday, April 27, 2008

Patience

I'm hiding out in my office.

No one but the organist is here yet, but I'm hiding. After being on vacation for 10 of the last 19 days you would think I'd be rested and have patience.

I'm reaching really hard for that patience. It was my first prayer this morning. It was a prayer as I drove home last night (from a church function).

I don't think I have patience for the needy ones. For the ones who seem to always need to talk to me. For the ones who breach my physical space. I don't have patience for those who need everything explained to them (over and over). I don't have patience for people's comments of "what work do you do that you need a vacation?" I don't have patience even for the incredibly eager ones who just want to suck everything in (sometimes it feels like I'm needing to spoon feed these too).

What I do have patience for? The 14-year old preacher. The kiddos who are leading the service today. The elderly (formerly grumpy) man who as he shares the peace with me, pulls me in and says "God loves you and so do I." I have patience for the people who have recently lost loved ones. I have patience for the excited Stewardship chair. I have patience for the dedicated ones who let me know about others who aren't doing so well. And for those who will come, and worship - taking in the Word and the Meal.

So, I suppose I do have patience. And, I pray for God's patience and strength not to let my impatience rule over me.

I'm still going to hide in my office for a few more minutes.

No comments: