Sunday, January 13, 2008

2008 New Year's Resolution

For the last few years I have taken my New Year's resolutions seriously. Not that they've been serious resolutions, but that I've followed through - or at least made an effort throughout the year.

2006 was the year of visiting all of the bars in my neighborhood. I didn't come close, but it was a valiant effort. In 2007 I went to at least one show per month (I missed March, but more than made up for it in the rest of the year).

2008 will be the year of cooking vegetables. I received this book:That is - "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without" by Mollie Katzen. (Like my arty arrangement? Too bad I wiggled the camera.) My resolution is to make all of the recipes in the book - except for the ones with brussel sprouts (maybe I would like them if prepared in the fashion suggested in the book, but I always like to leave some wiggle room).

I have already made three of the dishes, and have the ingredients for 2 more.

Brave friends Sara and Gail joined me for the inaugural meal on January 4th in which we had "Eggplant, Green Beans, Pumpkin, and Basil in Coconut-Tomato Curry" (pg 47) and "1-Minute Spinach" (pg 106). Here are pictures from that meal:Sara and Gail before the meal...we didn't take an after picture.

The beautiful presentation (it did taste really good too).

Earlier this week I made "Roasted Beets with Tart Pink Grapefruit Glaze" (pg 15). I had never made beets before, and it was relatively easy - although, they are very red/pink and do seem to stain. Here is a pic of the beets:
So, one of the notes I should make is that I also (somewhat obviously) have now purchased a digital camera (and I love it). I was able to because of some very generous Christmas gifts - so yay!

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

Congrats on the digital camera! What did you end up getting?

Your food looks yummy!