Sunday, March 05, 2006

Stomping my foot and pouting

I just don't want to - it's Sunday morning, I'm ready to head over to church for the morning. It'll be a lovely service - some good hymns, a children's sermon that might actually fly, a healing service. It's not the service I don't want to do - it's the sermon. It's written...it's probably pretty decent...I'm not sure - I've only read it through once. I just don't want to practice it. I'm bored by it. Where's the good news for me? I've been studying and thinking and everything I come up with are my own rationalizations. I want something inspiring for me this Sunday morning. I want to be fed...and not by my own words. And, not by something I've read...but something that someone tells me.

This sermon I'm supposed to preach matters - there are people who want to hear it, there might even be some who need to hear it. I know it's not all about me and my intelligence...thank God for that! But, at the same time, if I don't stop this little tantrum and read through it, God can't use my words and my gifts.

So, tantrum over. Fine *slumps in her chair and takes a deep breath* I'll go practice my sermon and then go to church. But, I don't wanna.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you hear "something inspiring"--some good news for you this Sunday morning? From something in the service, from something someone else said to you, from the words of your sermon as you actually said them out loud, from the music, from something else, directly from God?

I often find that I "hear" the good news of the sermon for me in my preparation of the sermon--and often that particular good news isn't the same as the one that gets shared in the pulpit.

I hope you heard some good news!