Friday, January 16, 2009

We Live at the Plate.

"It's just that there is sentiment here to use our bequest to challenge and invite others also to step up to the plate. "

This is a direct quote from someone who approached me this week with a thought toward helping to support my congregation's ministry, particularly to the homeless. I am really trying hard not to be offended. Particularly because up until this moment, this entity now trying to challenge others to "step up to the plate" has been nonexistent in the realm of social justice, or even in the community. They have been invited over and over again.

My congregation does a lot with very little. We work hard. We go over and above "the plate" and have been doing so for a number of years. The suggestion was made that my congregation do a fund drive to raise money that would then be matched by this entity. I feel like saying - why don't we count all of the numerous hours, the heartbreaking conversations, the thousands that we have already put in, and plan to continue to put in.....and consider that you are making an attempt to match that. You'll come no where close.

But, I won't say it like that. I might mention that we are already working on a couple of other ways to financially support our work, and they might see that as "matching." Grrrr.. Sometimes I really don't like being diplomatic.

1 comment:

Backwoods Rev said...

I don't know, perhaps you should count all the hours, the conversations and smiles and put a price on them...
And then ask them, as you place the billable hours in their hands, if they will match with their time?

Keep on keeping on, sister. Remember how amazing you are!